Tuesday 13 March 2018

Coaches for Longstone

Some more about the Coaches


"Jiro" with the first bogie carriage, No.12.

When I started modelling in 1:24 scale (April 2016) I found a distinct lack of passenger coaches in the kits available.  The type I wanted to model were enclosed, or semi-enclosed vehicles suitable for transporting visitors two or three miles.  As far as I could see, there was no way around it other than to build my own vehicles.

I had loads of 4mm Wills materials sheets from my 009 days, so I looked at the various types and decided to use them for building coach bodies along with Plastruct angle and Evergreen strips. The Wills sheets are quite strong, and over 1mm thick, so seemed ideal for building the bodies.  I mainly use the Tongue & Groove Boarding and Sheet Roofing sheets.

Coach livery is Humbrol Satin 195 "Dark Green" and 71 "Oak" Cream, with a mixed Cherry Red line and Matt 27 "Sea Grey" roofs.

The tension lock couplings are all removed from "00" scale chassis and replaced with Kadee couplings, sometimes the NEM362 type, depending on what fits best.

Kadee NEM coupling fixed on a Lima bogie.


Coach No.12 

I bought a second hand "00" scale Lima PTA wagon and removed the body.  This would be the chassis of the first coach, 148mm long.  Using thick 1mm plastikard for the floor, I used 6mm Plastruct angle to create a frame around it as a basis for the body sides.  Then using the Wills materials built up the body, meticulously creating window frames from old Peco mouldings from a Station House kit, and using thin clear "Plastiglaz" for the window glasses.  The removable roof is held in place by two brass pins, so I can access or re-position passengers.

  The first bogie coach under construction, using the Wills materials sheets.

The completed bogie coach with "Proteus".


Being new to the scale I sized the coach as best I could, I was pleased with it, and initially the coach appeared the right size.  But when I ran it with other items of stock, it seemed to dwarf everything.  So the decision was made to re-build it lower and narrower.

Un-daunted, I dismantled the coach three months after I built it.

A photo in the workshop being re-built.

Newly re-constructed coach 4mm narrower and 7mm lower with stronger glazing too.

The coach is more in proportion to other items of stock now and runs well.

Coaches 14 & 15

Next, two 4-wheeled coaches were built in the same way, with the Wills materials.  These would be open above the waist and sit on "00" scale Dapol 10ft Wagon chassis.  The bodies are 75 mm long x 68 mm high and 50 mm wide.

Another workshop photo, with one of the four-wheeler's under construction.

The completed vehicles on the maintenance shed diorama.  Roof's are detachable, and held in place by "L" shaped brass pins.  Couplings are Kadee NEM  pocket type.

Another photo on the maintenance shed diorama being hauled by "Proteus".

I built the bodies to the same height and width as the re-built bogie coach, but because they sit lower down on the wagon chassis they looked too low, with the roof line about 5mm lower than the bogie coach!  So, after much deliberating, I am at present re-building these too, saving as many parts as I can for re-use.

Here is coach No.15 before re-painting with new end panels and raised sides.  I have decorated the cant rail to detract from the vehicles"boxiness".

This photo shows the height difference with original coach 14 of the same type, and No.15 is now more in proportion with other passenger stock.


Completed re-built coach No.15


Coaches 16 & 17

In mid 2017 Smallbrook Studio introduced a coach to their range of Heywood kits it was called a Decauville Inspection Coach, a lovely kit, full of character.
Link to: Smallbrook Studio Gn15 Heywood Kits
It is probably designed for engineers to travel the line and check-out the condition of track and works areas.

I saw it as a new passenger vehicle, and my wife bought two of these kits for a birthday present.  They are very tall, so I reduced them in height by 10 mm, reducing end windows, and they are now in service.

Another workshop photo.  The Decauville coaches being prepared for painting.

Coach No.17


The pair of completed coaches.



Coach No. 20

Another "workshop" image, showing the body of coach No.20 receiving paint. 

Coach No.20 is a model made from card.  It started off as a kit by "Norfolk Heath Works" - a bogie passenger/open wagon vehicle.  I added a guards compartment where the open wagon section should have been, and also added a roof.  The curly valance is York Modelmaking 7mm scale canopy valancing.

The coach when completed.

It is mounted on some  Parkside Dundas PA38 LNER Diamond Frame bogies, which I found were tricky to mount the wheels in.  They were too loose and wouldn't hold in the bogie frames, so the only thing to do was glue-in some brass bearings.  I am still not happy though as the coach isn't a very good runner.  I may have to get some other bogies for it.

No.20 seen on the Longstone Maintenance Shed diorama.


Coach No. 11

I liked the general idea of coach No. 20 with half passenger compartment and half guards cabin, so decided to make a plastic model of a similar type of vehicle, built in the same way as bogie coach No.12 using the 4mm Wills Materials.

Some of the main parts for the new vehicle.  Part made body, guards van sides and a Lima PTA wagon chassis with new Kadee couplings.

The vehicle under construction, March 2018 .

Above and below: The completed coach on the maintenance shed diorama.



2 comments:

  1. I really like your little railway and will make some coaches like yours.
    Are you still active with Gn15?
    Do you still have the railway?
    I hope you get back to me as your work is so inspirational.
    Thank you.
    Pete Cane. Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Pete, Sorry, I've only just read your kind comment, thank you. Both the "Longstone Maintenance Shed" and "Longstone" layouts were sold lock, stock and barrel to friends in our local narrow gauge group, mainly because I didn't have the space to store them. I now concentrate on O9 scale, a smaller version of 15" gauge.

    ReplyDelete